2021 Fellowship Program
The purpose of the YPI Fellowship Program is to provide graduate students with the opportunity to engage with professionals in the infrastructure sector to help further their academic research and allow them to communicate the product of their study and academic achievement in conferences and other academic and industry forums. YPI recognizes the importance of ensuring that the infrastructure industry and academia engage in regular communication to further common goals, and hopes to provide high achieving individuals with the opportunity to network with the various YPI member organizations.
The YPI Fellowship will provide Fellows with funding that can be applied to costs such as travel and registration costs in order to attend conference(s) and/or other industry event(s), and/or fees to access various P3 data repositories for research purposes. Grants of up to $5,000 will be awarded to one or more YPI Fellows.
In addition to facilitating opportunities for meaningful engagement with industry, Fellows will partner with YPI on a research project. This project will be proposed by applicants as part of the application process, and can vary widely in terms of topic and scope.
Fellowship Application Criteria and Process:
- Current graduate student (e.g., MA, MS, MBA, MPA, MPP, PhD or JD candidates or equivalent degrees)
- Student is undertaking, or has a desire to undertake, research on infrastructure, with a connection to innovative/alternative delivery or P3s
- Applications will be evaluated by a panel of YPI members.
Please limit each response to 200 words.
- Describe any prior knowledge of and experience with P3s, including through internship/work experience, courses taken, research papers, etc.
- What interests you about P3s?
- What are your current intentions post-graduation, and particularly as it relates to the infrastructure and P3 industry?
- Describe how you would propose to utilize the YPI Fellowship funding.
- Please describe one or two main research projects that you would propose to work on during the Fellowship year. How would you manage this process, and what information, data, support, etc. would you envision being necessary from YPI to complete the project? (Note, this would ideally culminate in a poster, presentation or white paper and the topic can align with research work you are already undertaking.)
- Please include any other feedback you deem relevant to this application for the review of the selection committee.
- Please attach resume.
Applications for 2021 are due May 1, 2021
Please submit any questions and final applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with “YPI Fellow” in the Subject line. Attachments may be in Word or PDF format.
“Building The Future” Grant
The Young Professionals in Infrastructure “Building The Future” Grant is an award for undergraduate and graduate students, which is designed to support greater diversity within our organization and the infrastructure industry. Selected students will receive free membership to YPI and be eligible for an award of up to $2,500. We are currently accepting applications.
To receive the entire award, the student must:
- Commit to meeting quarterly with a YPI mentor for the duration of a year
- Participate on a minimum of one YPI event panel or write a publishable work
In selecting the grant recipients, YPI will consider students’:
- Interest in pursuing a career in infrastructure after graduation
- Undergraduate record, including academic achievements and involvement in extracurricular activities
- Demonstrated leadership
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity
- Affiliation with a historically underrepresented group in the infrastructure industry (e.g., students who are members of racial and/or ethnic minority groups, LGBTQ, or are differently abled)
To apply for the YPI “Building the Future” Grant, please submit an application that includes your resume, a brief letter of motivation (500 words or less), and a short response (500 words or less) to one of the following prompts:
Please provide a brief description of an infrastructure project where:
- Diversity was not held as a core value and how you believe it could have been done differently; or
- Diversity was valued and integrated successfully into the project as a key asset.
Applications for the YPI “Building The Future” Grant are due May 1, 2021
Please submit questions to email@example.com with “YPI Grant” in the Subject line.
Grant applicants are encouraged to sign up to join us at upcoming YPI events by visiting ypinfrastructure.com/join/#subscribe